Idly batter 2cups
Urad dal(black gram dal) and idly rava 1:2 quantity soaked separately for 4hrs, grind urad dal as a soft paste and mix with washed and squeezed idly rava combined well, cover and allow it to ferment over night. Batter should be of pouring consistency if needed then add little water.
Salt to taste
Mustard seeds 1/2tsp
Cumin seeds 1/2tsp
Onion(medium size) finely chopped 1
Green chilli finely chopped 1-2(adjust to your spice level)
Ginger 1/2inch finely chopped
Finely chopped Curry leaves and coriander leaves 1tsp(optional)
1. Heat oil in a pan add mustard seeds and cumin seeds let them crack then add onion, ginger, green chilli fry for few seconds and remove from the stove.
2. Now add this popu, salt to the batter and mix well.
3. Heat dosa pan/tawa/or non stick pan sprinkle little oil and pour 1/2cup of batter in the center of the pan and make it as thick dosa(spread it as thick circle).
4. Now pour little oil on top and sides of dosa and cover it and cook on medium flame for not more than 1 minute, remove the lid or until brown spots will appear at bottom or the edges of dosa become brown and flip it by using spatula and cook it for few seconds.
5. Now remove uttapam from the pan and do the same process for remaining batter.
6. Serve hot with coconut chutney/ peanut chutney / pickle/ curry leaves powder.